Youth Engagement Coordinator - Summer Student Position
Organization: Atlantic Council for International Cooperation http://www.acic-caci.org
Location: Halifax, Nova ScotiaApplication deadline: May 11, 2010
The Atlantic Council for International Cooperation (ACIC) is a coalition of individuals, organizations, and institutions working in the Atlantic region, which are committed to achieving global sustainability in a peaceful and healthy environment, with social justice, human dignity, and participation for all. ACIC supports its members in international cooperation and education through collective leadership, networking, information, training and coordination, and represents their interests when dealing with government and others.
ACIC also takes a leadership role in engaging Atlantic Canadians around issues relating to international development, global sustainability, and social justice. Through our public engagement work, ACIC strives to give Atlantic Canadians the knowledge, skills, and tools necessary to become active global citizens.
ACIC is looking for a responsible, experienced person to fill the position of Youth Engagement Coordinator. Responsibilities:
- Assist with the coordination of events related to a youth project that connects indigenous people from Atlantic Canada and around the world through the arts;
- Work with a staff team to plan and implement workshops, events and training sessions;
- Liaise with relevant organizations and individuals to develop content and encourage youth participation in upcoming projects;
- Project promotion, recruitment and community outreach activities
- Develop educational resource materials targeted to a youth audience (compile information, resources and activities)
- Assist with arranging travel and other event-related logistics
- Assist in website development and maintenance
- Other activities as necessary
Desired Experience, Skills and Qualifications:
- Student with a background in International Development, Education, Multi-media, Fine or Performing Arts, Public Relations, Communications or equivalent
- Knowledge of NGO international development and community groups in the Atlantic
- Previous experience working with youth
- Experience in event planning and management
- Experience creating promotional materials and using new media
- Excellent communications skills -- oral & written; Spanish an asset
- Experience working with First Nations Communities and in cross-cultural contexts an asset
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team setting
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Excellent computer skills (MS Office, Word Press, Dreamweaver an asset)
To be eligible, individuals must have been registered as full-time students in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year; Location:
The position will be based at ACIC's office in Halifax. Salary:
$12.00/hour for a 14-week contract (May 25 – August 27), 35 hours per week Application deadline: May 11, 2010 Start date:
May 25, 2010
Please submit your resume, cover letter and the names and contact information of three references, by e-mail to hiring at acic-caci.org by May 11th. Please include 'Youth Engagement Coordinator' in the subject line.
Thank you for applying. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted to arrange for an interview. ACIC is an equal opportunity employer. Preference will be given to applicants of Aboriginal ancestry and members of a visible minority.