The Nova Scotia Environmental Network (NSEN) is seeking a new Executive Director.
NSEN was established in 1991 and is a non-profit organization registered provincially under the Society Act. The network is comprised of non-governmental environmental and health groups whose common purpose is the conservation and enhancement of the natural environment and the pursuit of a sustainable future for Nova Scotia. There are approximately 60 environmental organizations in the Network.
NSEN performs a coordinating function for environmental organizations, facilitating communication and sharing of expertise and resources amongst groups from across the province. NSEN also supports the work of caucuses and working groups among our members, such as on Mining, Environmental Education, Water, Biosolids & Wastewater, Law & Policy, and SENSE: Sustainability Education in Nova Scotia for Everyone.
NSEN also organizes events, capacity-building workshops, annual gatherings, award ceremonies, and round tables to support the work of our members. We have an interactive and comprehensive website including an online calendar, resources, and a sustainability education directory. NSEN is a regional affiliate of the Canadian Environmental Network ( http://www.cen- rce.org ) and the Executive Director reports directly to the Board of Directors, made up of representatives of our provincial member organizations. More information about the NSEN's mission and vision can be found on our web site: http://www.nsen. ca
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
The Executive Director will be responsible for performing the following duties:
- Implementation of NSEN's Strategic and Fundraising Plans
- Office Administration & Management
- Communication & Member Relations, Including the Biweekly Newsletter
- Fundraising & Financial Management
- Communication & Networking
- Supervision of Interns & Staff
- Organization of Annual Gathering, Round Table & Award Ceremony
- Event Planning & Project Management QUALIFICATIONS:
- Knowledge and passion for environmental issues in Nova Scotia
- Strong leadership, interpersonal and communication skills
- Non-profit management experience
- Experience working with volunteers
- Proficiency with office and information technologies
- Public outreach and engagement experience
- Fundraising experience
- Media relations experience
- Clean drivers license required
- General understanding of governmental structure and environmental legislation (asset)
- Web site maintenance - experience with HTML and PHP (asset) SALARY
The base salary is $17.50 per hour for a 20-hour work week. The salary and hours required are subject to increase, contingent on securing additional funding. APPLICATION PROCESS & DEADLINE
Please email cover letter, references, and resume, outlining education and experience to the NSEN Board at gretchenf@sierraclu b.ca
. Please contact Gretchen Fitzgerald, Chair of NSEN, if you
have any questions about your application or the position: 902-444-3113. DEADLINE
deadline for applications is Friday,May 14, 2010
. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. The start date will be June 1, 2010.